On Wednesday, March 22, 2017, the Northside the Lakes Community Health Board (CHB) met with Eskasoni First Nation residents and health professionals. The purpose of the meeting was:
- to hear about health issues impacting Eskasoni First Nation;
- for Eskasoni residents to learn about the Northside the Lakes CHB and to build a relationship with the CHB; and,
- to recruit members of the Eskasoni First Nation on to the CHB.
The meeting was about sharing and learning and Sharon Rudderham, Health Director with Easkasoni First Nation did an excellent presentation on the health statistics of Eskasoni First Nation residents compared to the rest of Nova Scotia. The stats were startling and eye opening for the Northside the Lakes CHB members. The point was brought home that health means not only the absence of disease or injury, but also physical, mental and social well-being.
The Northside the Lakes CHB spoke about their Collaborative Community Health Plan and the priorities and recommendations identified within. The discussion paid particular focus on two key priorities:
- Healthy Eating
- Civic Participation and Volunteerism
They also discussed how the Board could recognize, support and take action on the community health needs of Eskasoni First Nation.
- Debbie Martell, CHB Coordinator